PFLAG Kansas City is a robust local chapter of PFLAG, the nation’s foremost family-based organization committed to the civil rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people. Launched in New York City in 1973 by mothers and fathers who stood up for their gay children, PFLAG’s national movement now has more than 250,000 members and supporters in over 500 chapters throughout the United States.
PFLAG Kansas City offers help for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBTQIA) youth, their families, and communities around the topics of sexual orientation and gender identity.
Through support, education, resources, and advocacy we foster dialogue, create safe environments, and open hearts and minds to help:
- LGBTQIA youth to achieve happiness, acceptance, and self-esteem
- Parents and care-givers to understand and connect with their children
- Families to work through sometimes difficult feelings
- Schools, workplaces, communities and other institutions to provide safe environments
- Society to counter violence and negative stereotypes
Our Vision. PFLAG envisions a world where diversity is celebrated and all people are respected, valued, and affirmed inclusive of their sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression.
Our Mission. By meeting people where they are and collaborating with others, PFLAG realizes its vision through:
- Support for families, allies and people who are LGBTQ
- Education for ourselves and others about the unique issues and challenges facing people who are LGBTQ
- Advocacy in our communities to change attitudes and create policies and laws that achieve full equality for people who are LGBTQ